Effingham County Probate Court can only issue certified copies of Death Certificates. The Probate Court also only has copies of residents that have died in a County in Georgia. Please call 912-754-2112 before coming into the office so we may make sure we can locate your requested certificate.
Request a CopyThe applicant must show proper identification as a relative and other necessary proof before we are able to issue a certified copy of a death certificate. The applicant will then be given a form (EFS/Vital Records 2 per 96) that he or she must fill out.
FeesThe fees for copies of Certified Death Certificates are:
- First copy - $25
- Additional copies issued at the same time - $5
We only accept cash (no bills larger than $20), money orders, and checks.
Certified Copies of Death Certificates With the Cause of DeathUpon completion of a writers request and payment of the fee, the persons or agency representatives that may obtain certified copies of death certificates that contain the cause of death are:
- The spouse, children, parents or other next to kin of the decedent
- The legal representatives of the previously described individuals (including funeral directors)
- Any individual who demonstrates the need for the cause of death to establish a legal right or claim
- The court, person or entity mentioned in an order or subpoena issued by a court or competent jurisdiction
- Authorized representatives of Federal, State or County government agencies in the conduct to their official duties (not for personal purposes)
- Genealogists representing and authorized in writing by a family to obtain copies of records to conduct family research
- Researchers authorized by the State Registrar